Robert3512

Bundle up folks!

KFAR 310953Z 14007KT 10SM CLR M31/M34 A3020 RMK AO2 SLP264 T13111339 
KORD 310951Z 25007KT 10SM CLR M29/M32 A3035 RMK AO2 SLP303 T12941322 $ 
KMSP 310953Z 23004KT 10SM CLR M31/M33 A3031 RMK AO2 SLP296 T13061328 $ 
KBOS 310954Z 27016G26KT 10SM CLR M15/M26 A3019 RMK AO2 PK WND 27026/0948 SLP222 T11501256 $ 

Brrr...it's cold as balls innit? Heard the ADF/AAF froze in KFAR too.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

In my area its -30 degrees with the wind chill. I went to the shopping center, and people were actually yelling (I heard a few women scream, not kidding) when the wind blew in the parking lot.

Being Australian I cannot begin to imagine what that must be like. Mind you, we had +44C a few days ago

It's -4'c in UK Midlands which is quite low enough, thanks.

I don't think it will break 70 here in central Oahu today.  But keep in mind that we don't have heat or insulation here, so when it's in the 50s at night it isn't that much warmer inside.

scott s.

8 hours ago, DavidP said:

Being Australian I cannot begin to imagine what that must be like. Mind you, we had +44C a few days ago

Yeah you guys are flip flopped from us.  I think our air temp was M38 at work the other day

2 hours ago, ryanbatcund said:

Yeah you guys are flip flopped from us.  I think our air temp was M38 at work the other day

Last night I was looking at a weather map at current temps and saw Duluth was like -35 or something. You’re the only person I know from there so every time I hear Duluth, you’re the first one I think of. Frankly I don’t know how anyone can live in areas like that were it gets so cold.

I camped out in Wisconsin one time, near a place called Tomah (near Black River Falls, WI).  I'm not sure how cold it was (that was before phones had internet) but was cold enough to freeze your beer unless you had it near the fire.

Where I am now in southern MO last night it got down to 10 degrees with a wind chill of -6.  That's bad, but nowhere near Duluth..  Holy moly batman.  Of course they're pikers compared to International Falls, MN.

Well, last night it got down to -32ºF absolute, -68ºF wind chill.

A homeless tent camp was evacuated night before last after a propane tank exploded because of being too close to a heater.

As of this early afternoon, 12 persons have died from the cold.

My gas furnace has been barely keeping my house warm despite running almost constantly for the past three days.

Yesterday morning, I found to my dismay that the water service to my house had frozen, so I have no water. I've been bringing buckets of snow into the house to melt, so I have water to flush the commode. I bought 2.5 gallons of drinking water so I can make coffee and hot chocolate!

I spent my entire day helping a friend with his two trucks, neither of which would start for him. I had to loan him the money to buy an alternator and new battery for one, and his main truck will need a new fuel pump. That's on tomorrows agenda.

Adding insult to injury, we are supposed to get 4 to 6 inches of new snow overnight. :sad:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, n4gix said:

Well, last night it got down to -32ºF absolute, -68ºF wind chill.

A homeless tent camp was evacuated night before last after a propane tank exploded because of being too close to a heater.

As of this early afternoon, 12 persons have died from the cold.

My gas furnace has been barely keeping my house warm despite running almost constantly for the past three days.

Yesterday morning, I found to my dismay that the water service to my house had frozen, so I have no water. I've been bringing buckets of snow into the house to melt, so I have water to flush the commode. I bought 2.5 gallons of drinking water so I can make coffee and hot chocolate!

I spent my entire day helping a friend with his two trucks, neither of which would start for him. I had to loan him the money to buy an alternator and new battery for one, and his main truck will need a new fuel pump. That's on tomorrows agenda.

Adding insult to injury, we are supposed to get 4 to 6 inches of new snow overnight. :sad:

Oh MY! As Sam and Dave sang, 'hold on, I'm coming" ... temps in the mid 50's! What a week!  Stay safe!.  I recall similar conditions in Hammond way back in 1979.  I had 20W50 oil in my Plymouth 340 Duster, and the starter motor was no challenge...

17 hours ago, Robert3512 said:

KFAR 310953Z 14007KT 10SM CLR M31/M34 A3020 RMK AO2 SLP264 T13111339 
KORD 310951Z 25007KT 10SM CLR M29/M32 A3035 RMK AO2 SLP303 T12941322 $ 
KMSP 310953Z 23004KT 10SM CLR M31/M33 A3031 RMK AO2 SLP296 T13061328 $ 
KBOS 310954Z 27016G26KT 10SM CLR M15/M26 A3019 RMK AO2 PK WND 27026/0948 SLP222 T11501256 $ 

Brrr...it's cold as balls innit? Heard the ADF/AAF froze in KFAR too.

Not to bad here in Dublin

EIDW 010700Z 03009KT 010V080 9999 FEW016 SCT030 BKN043 01/M03 Q0994 NOSIG

Temp in degrees C.

12 hours ago, n4gix said:

Hang in there Bill.  I had a frozen pipe yesterday and it took about 8 hours to thaw it out as the high was 24.  Used a cheap hair dryer from the drug store.  Even left the water drip over night but only the cold water would work.  Last night I made sure I had both the hot and cold side dripping and had both this AM.  I once lived north of Chicago and just north of Evanston in the late 60's and my government quarters backed to Lake Michigan.  Once they said it was 50 below with the windchill off Lake Michigan. After a major snow storm too.  I had a long extension cord from the house to the car where I had a special dipstick that kept the oil warm overnight so the car would start up.  No frozen pipes though!

5 minutes ago, Jim Young said:

I had a frozen pipe yesterday

Same here. Was a balmy =5 and on -10 WC. Took 30 minutes to unthaw with a Kerosene space heater. 🙂

Cold is all relative. Can give you that. Today is a warm -2F at 9am local. Feel for Ryan though - dang!
After a week of very cold temps and nearly 15" of cumulative snow the weekend forecast is to be in the low 40s and rain! 
Used to live in Tulsa, OK and weather emergencies occurred at 32F!

polar%20vortex.jpg?dl=1

1 hour ago, Adrian123 said:

Took 30 minutes to unthaw with a Kerosene space heater

I just need more experience.  That's all!

20 minutes ago, Jim Young said:

I just need more experience.  That's all!

Have to work with the space and tools you have. lets hope w don't have the need for experience in the future. 😉

Edited by Adrian123

5 hours ago, Jim Young said:

Hang in there Bill.  I had a frozen pipe yesterday and it took about 8 hours to thaw it out as the high was 24.  Used a cheap hair dryer from the drug store.  Even left the water drip over night but only the cold water would work.  Last night I made sure I had both the hot and cold side dripping and had both this AM.  I once lived north of Chicago and just north of Evanston in the late 60's and my government quarters backed to Lake Michigan.  Once they said it was 50 below with the windchill off Lake Michigan. After a major snow storm too.  I had a long extension cord from the house to the car where I had a special dipstick that kept the oil warm overnight so the car would start up.  No frozen pipes though!

reminds me of an experience when I was in charge of installing a ship's propulsion trainer for the sailors at Great Lakes.  The engines / propulsion shaft were loaded by a waterbrake -- essentially a tub of water that was sloshed around by a special propeller.  The energy from the shaft was absorbed as heat, so there was a 10 or 12 inch line from the waterbrake to a cooling tower on the roof.  Over night that sucker froze up solid.  We had guys up on the roof with gas welding torches trying to unfreeze the thing.  I can tell you that frozen pipe will absorb a TON of heat.  Eventually we are able to get a trickle of flow and then the (relatively) hot water was able to do the job, but we lost a day of work.

Great Lakes in the winter is one cold place.  Back in those days we also had boot camps and service schools in Orlando and San Diego -- a bit nicer places to be.  My Dad went through boot camp at the Lakes in 42 and then aviation maintenance training at Navy Pier in Chicago -- he never forgot how cold it could be.  Fortunately his orders were to Fleet Air Wing 3 at Coco Solo in the Panama Canal Zone maintaining flying boats, so he didn't have to relive that experience until after the war.

scott s.

On ‎2‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 8:15 AM, Jim Young said:

Hang in there Bill.  I had a frozen pipe yesterday and it took about 8 hours to thaw it out as the high was 24.

Well, fortunately for me, we had bright sunshine most of the day yesterday and the ambient temperature rose to a warm 36ºF. The "warmth" from the sun un-froze the shut-off valve and allowed water to begin flowing once again by late yesterday afternoon. The shut-off valve is in a cast steel housing near the sidewalk, and is about four inches below ground. Since I couldn't budge the valve, I'm fairly confident that's where the freezing occurred.

Weather forecast for the next week is calling for above freezing temperatures with some light snow beginning Wednesday and lasting through Friday.

Sorry to hear that Bill.  It's only 76 at my house this afternoon and if it gets much chillier, I'm going to have to put on long sleeves. 😊

2 hours ago, 188AHC said:

Sorry to hear that Bill.  It's only 76 at my house this afternoon and if it gets much chillier, I'm going to have to put on long sleeves. 😊

And meanwhile, I'm the one walking around in 50-degree weather in shorts and sandals.