Sign in to follow this  
FAZZ3

It’s on Steam

If it had to open a separate client to work, there would be a notice on the game's store page. This is the case with the recent addition of newer EA titles, which require an Origin account and the client in the background.

It is not stated anywhere that a Microsoft log-in will be needed, but things might change so I suggest waiting until release to make sure.

• Upvote 1

Great insight, Alan, because I am loathe to get anything from MS Store. In fact I have completely obliterated Windows Apps and the MS Store from my OS, and was looking at the Steam option in the initial posts, but your post has now made me re-think.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Aristoteles said:

Check this. Shut up and take my money...

Colour me severely impressed! Not only was the video itself a joy to watch - it helped that the chap had some sim experience :wink: - but did anyone notice the nice little visual on the intro part showing the Premier 1A? The mainwheels were slowly rotating in the airflow... backwards. No reason why the airflow couldn't do that, after all the gap between the top of the wheel and the wing is far smaller than the gap between the bottom of the wheel & the ground... Do we need that in a sim? Probably not, as far as flight dynamics and systems modelling is concerned, but it certainly adds to any realism if and when someone decides to do a cinematic video...

I'll have to consider a new PC if I'm going to get the sim ... not that my existing one couldn't do the job with some details turned down, but more so the fact that I'm on Win7 - may as well get a fresh PC with Win10 already on board...

What about your console you say? My XBOX is set up in the bedroom - I'd prefer to be sitting in a chair in front of a PC monitor, with stick and rudder to do my flightsimming IMO.

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

4 minutes ago, HighBypass said:

Colour me severely impressed! Not only was the video itself a joy to watch - it helped that the chap had some sim experience :wink: - but did anyone notice the nice little visual on the intro part showing the Premier 1A? 

Premier 1A ?  How and when did that get into MSFS ? I was under the impression the CJ4 and Citation Longitude are the ONLY business jets available in the release version. That would be fantastic ! 😍

WAT1460.png

I was wondering if it is even possible to cancel the preorder at MS Store? I can't find any such option... And if it is possible and I would then preorder on Steam, is it possible to change the default location of the sim to the new SSD I bought?

3 hours ago, Thomasso said:

Excellent! Glad that I didn't order it from MS Store.

Glad I don't have to order it because I have gamepass 🤣

Steam vs. Microsoft Store

Does purchasing through the MS Store give you a cross-platform license which would be shared between the PC and X-Box console version upon its eventual release? That might be one of the few considerations if you happen to be a console gamer and want to horse around with the sim on the TV instead of at the computer desk. (*The other big consideration being whether or not you are a Game Pass subscriber)

I think it's great that they opted to add the title to Steam. That much more of a potential audience, and another option for those who have strong preferences about it.  Good stuff!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mgard78 said:

Glad I don't have to order it because I have gamepass 🤣

lucky you lol

everyone can get the PC gamepass beta for $1 in the first month and next each month for $4,99 😂

Edited by Nedo68

So everyone who were in a haste to preorder from MS Store for no apparent reason are now having to figure out how to cancel and preorder from Steam instead. This is some funny stuff.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Kopteeni said:

So everyone who were in a haste to preorder from MS Store for no apparent reason are now having to figure out how to cancel and preorder from Steam instead. This is some funny stuff.

I don't think you'll be able to pre-order it on steam, and have it installed ready to go several days before the 18th of August - like you would with the ms store version.

I'm thinking of download issues after the 18th for a lot of you folks.

11 minutes ago, Kopteeni said:

Easy to cancel just did it

• Like 1

Wayne such

Asus Hero Z690, Galax 3080 TI, I712700K, Kraken x72 CPU Cooled, 64 GIGS Corsair DDR5, 32 Inch 4K 

I just cancelled my pre-order from the MS store and wait to (hopefully) get more information on whether the steam purchase option will give the exact same version, with updates at the same time, no limits on DLC etc.

My reason to purchase from Steam would be solely quality/reliability of downloads...I’ve had intermittent issues downloading large games from the MS Store before that caused me huge headaches (Forza 7 was a brutal disaster for downloads), steam has always been easy and reliable.  It seems as of late a lot of those download issues have been fixed but i still have that very negative memory of the MS store.

• Like 1

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

26 minutes ago, suchw said:

Easy to cancel just did it

So all set now for the 18th ehh? Maybe there will be 3rd even better option 😛

1 hour ago, MarkW said:

If you purchase on Steam does that limit you to only purchasing 3rd party addons from Steam or can you buy from Simmarket or the developer directly as well ?

No limits on that in my experience with FSX on Steam. You can install stuff bought from online stores and developer websites into the Steam version of FSX no problem and that is indeed what I normally do. Since this model works well, there's no reason why MS would not do the same as Dovetail have done with their new sim with regard to this. Effectively, Steam is just an additional shop window which one can either use for convenience and the occasional special offers, or one can completely ignore it and install stuff you got from simmarket, Just Flight, FSL or anyone else.

Just for completeness in this regard however, I do recall that the PMDG FSX version of their Boeing 737 NG did require users to manually add a tiny additional file to FSX which was missing from the SE version of FSX, but PMDG did provide links and info on this, so it really was not a big deal. Can't remember what the issue was, might have been something to do with simconnect, but I could be wrong on that, in any case it only required you to download a couple of tiny little files and throw them into a couple of folders, so it was easily sorted.

1 hour ago, vc10man said:

Great insight, Alan, because I am loathe to get anything from MS Store. In fact I have completely obliterated Windows Apps and the MS Store from my OS, and was looking at the Steam option in the initial posts, but your post has now made me re-think.

I would not wish to discourage anyone from using Steam with my comments, I use it all the time and I am in no way certain that any of the experiences I related with FSX and TPD stuff for it would be the case with the new FS, it is just something to potentially be aware of.

One thing which is worth bearing in mind in this regard, is that in almost every case that I'm aware of, if you buy a game not via Steam, which is also available on Steam, you can register it with your Steam account. In fact there are some games and sims where you actually have to do this for them to function - Bohemia Interactive's Take On Helicopters is one such sim where this is necessary and in fact it is a bit of a faff to get the expansion for it (Take on Hinds) to work okay with it if you have bought that too. So even if you did not buy it via Steam, you can probably 'steamify' it.

Edited by Chock
  • Upvote 5

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here