Sign in to follow this  
FAZZ3

PMDG Preview Trailer Premiering Now

3 hours ago, threegreen said:

Keep in mind this is a recording of the sim edited in a video editor and uploaded to YouTube. I always thought it was strange to make judgements about stutters and/or FPS based on a video. The stutters may also not even be caused by the addon. I'll judge performance when it's running on thousands of people's PCs including my own.

A recording edited as you rightly pointed out if anything would usually edit out any stuttering.. Also it’s segments of stuttering rather than a symptom of the editing uploading process which would be a constant you’d expect anyway… Like I said hopefully if it’s in sim it will be dealt with before release, just an observation at this point.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Bobsk8 said:

I had all the variations of the PMDG 737 in P3D, and flew them for a couple of years. Looking at the videos, everything on the flight deck looked pretty much the same. I probably will pass on this one. 

Isn't this what one would expect from a cockpit of the same plane? 😁

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

1 minute ago, MrBitstFlyer said:

Isn't this what one would expect from a cockpit of the same plane? 😁

Absolutely, and that is why I won't purchase this. It's like remarrying an ex-wife. 😉

• Like 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

1 minute ago, Bobsk8 said:

Absolutely, and that is why I won't purchase this. It's like remarrying an ex-wife. 😉

I hear ya 😂

Maddog for me - the way the systems are different from the Airbus and Boeing is a plus and that is one reason the Just Flight BAe 146 can't come soon enough!

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

3 hours ago, Keirtt said:

spacer.png

Please, don't post XP stuff in this thread. Oh wait... that's not Austin... 😄

Sorry mods, I hope you let me get away with this little OT contribution.

• Like 2

Happy with MSFS 🙂
home simming evolved

Someone loves to see the 737 pushing back. I think half the video involved an external view of the plane pushing back

The HUD and landing which I was most interested in was given a second or so.

I had the PMDG 737 in FSX but find it very dated compared to an Airbus. 

Probably going to pass on this, I find the Fenix much more interesting.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, lancealotg said:

Someone loves to see the 737 pushing back. I think half the video involved an external view of the plane pushing back

The HUD and landing which I was most interested in was given a second or so.

I had the PMDG 737 in FSX but find it very dated compared to an Airbus. 

Probably going to pass on this, I find the Fenix much more interesting.

I had a HUD in both the Q400 and the PMDG 737, and I used them a few times, and after awhile I just didn't bother with it, and looked the gauges and out the windscreen. Seemed to be more trouble than it was worth. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

12 hours ago, DJJose said:

As a DJ, I'm appalled by their choice of music. 😀

It would have been a lot better with some banging Detroit Techno in the background!

In all seriousness, I am pretty emotional right now as I've been waiting for this since August of 2020. Am a bit bored with the NEO at the moment and I'm ready for this. Let's go!

Jacek G.

Ryzen 5800X3D | Asus RTX4090 OC | 64gb DDR4 3600 | Asus ROG Strix X570E | HX1000w | Fractal Design Torrent RGB | AOC AGON 49' Curved QHD |

8 hours ago, Bobsk8 said:

I had all the variations of the PMDG 737 in P3D, and flew them for a couple of years. Looking at the videos, everything on the flight deck looked pretty much the same. I probably will pass on this one. 

A fan of course but texturing was never PMDG's strong suit inside or our - outside texture mapping has always been a bit off

Edited by Richard Sennett

Rich Sennett

47 minutes ago, Richard Sennett said:

A fan of course but texturing was never PMDG's strong suit inside or our - outside texture mapping has always been a bit off

I think they have done a brilliant job judging from the video getting the cockpit textures just right in this.  I am impressed with the changes to incorporate materials in the VC to FS 2020 technology.  Looks pretty spot on.

Simon

9 hours ago, hansb57 said:

I'm not a jet liner simmer so at a first glance this looks like an A320 with a pointy nose. But because a lot of folks seem excited could the knowledgeable crowd explain to me what is the major difference (in MSFS) between this one and (f.i.) an A320??

PMDG is modeling a 737NG (Next Generation variant), which originally dated from 1996 and was in production until 2019 in its airliner form, but the NG version is still produced in its military guise as the 737 AEW&C, the C-40 Clipper and the P-8 Poseidon (respectively, these variants are an airborne radar command and control platform, a military transport, and an anti-submarine navy patrol platform). The NG airliner has been superseded by the Boeing 737-8 (previously known as the 737 MAX, but with a name change owing to the bad press it initially got from a couple of well-publicised accidents). Prior to the NG, there was the 'Classic' versions, and prior to those, there were the 'Originals' which were first flown in 1967, so it is a very old design which has been updated a few times. Of these various versions, there are several different lengths or 737 available, meaning it can carry well over 200 people in the longer fuselage variants. The NG is a very common sight at airports and will continue to be for very many years in spite of it being an older model of 737.

The Airbus A320 was designed more or less as a rival to the 737. It first flew in 1987, so it is a much more modern design than the original 737. This meant that it was more economical than the contemporary 737 variant it competed with at the time of its introduction (the 737 Classic version). Since that time, both the 737 and the A320 have both been regularly redesigned and updated to compete with one another, and so they are roughly comparable in many respects. You can tell this is the case when you look at two large budget airlines which compete with one another - EasyJet and Ryanair - one uses the A320, the other uses the 737.

Despite the similarities in performance, economy, capacity, range, availability and cost, they are at their hearts two quite different aeroplanes with very different operational philosophies. These can be basically boiled down to the notion that the 737 is more traditional in the way it is operated, with the avionics and systems providing information to the pilots, so the pilots can make choices and decisions on what to do with that information and how to fly the 737 safely. Conversely, the A320 does the opposite in terms of these roles, i.e. the pilots provide information to the systems and computers on board the aeroplane, then armed with this information, the A320's sophisticated computers handle many of the flying decisions in order to keep it in a safe flight envelope. You could sum this up by saying it is more or less the case that you fly a 737, whereas you operate an A320, although this is to oversimplify things perhaps a little.

Both the 737 and the A320 use the same engine types, which have also upgraded and changed over the years.

Like the 737, the A320 'family' comes in a variety of different fuselage lengths too. One fairly major difference between the 737 and the A320 is the way the passenger bags are carried. The 737 uses bulk holds for the passenger bags, i.e. the bags are driven out to the aeroplane on trailers, then loaded individually via a conveyer belt and stacked in the holds, which can be time consuming. The A320 can also be loaded like this, but the A320 is more often than not loaded using AKH Unit Load Devices (ULDs are cargo 'cans', each of which contains approximately thirty suitcases), these 'cans' are driven out to the aeroplane and loaded, but you are actually only putting a few items in the aeroplane when you do that, rather than well over 1-200 bags individually, and so it is quicker and doesn't require you to count the bags on to ensure the correct load. This means theoretically an A320 could be loaded and unloaded slightly quicker than a 737 at the ramp, but it also means you need more sophisticated ground handling equipment to do that. Having said that, a 737 can have built-in airstairs, which means it could actually offload its passengers quicker than an A320 could. This is actually one of the reasons why Ryanair uses the 737; they don't have to pay the airport to use airbridges.

So of the two, the 737 is the simpler aeroplane and an older design, but this means it is easier to 'learn' and a bit more 'hands on' than an A320 when it comes to actually driving the thing, which is one of the reasons why the A320 has a sidestick controller, whereas the 737 has a traditional pilot's yoke control.

Last but not least, about that 'pointy nose' difference which you spotted. The Boeing 737 essentially uses the same front end as the Boeing 707 and Boeing 727 used many years ago, so it kind of stuck with that for reasons of tradition as well as ease of production. However, whilst you might be tempted to think that a more 'pointy' nose would make the thing faster and more slick through the air, that's actually not true, in fact the opposite is the case. This is because for very fast jets, such as military fighters and such which go above the speed of sound, you do indeed want a very pointy nose to penetrate the air as you pass through the 'sound barrier', but for airliners which cruise at about 500 miles per hour or so, which is a well below the speed of sound, what you actually want is the least amount of surface area possible. This is so your aeroplane's shape creates less friction as it flies through the air. This is why the A320, has that rounder nose, because when they designed it, they were trying to beat the 737. Oddly enough however, aeroplane designers did know this was the case back when Boeing designed the 707, because if you look at the very first ever commercial jetliner which came several years before the Boeing 707 - which was the de Havilland Comet - you might notice a striking similarity between the nose shape of that thing, and Boeing's latest airliner - the B787 Dreamliner - which looks very similar to the Comet on its front end. And it's not the only airliner which has done that either, back in the mid-Fifties, the Sud Aviation Caravelle used exactly the same nose section as the Comet, and that was ten years before the very 737 first flew.

Edited by Chock
  • Like 17

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Looks nice and smooth FPS wise...

Then I saw theres zero AI traffic.

Wonder how the fps is gonna be at busy AP's?

Chris Camp

3 hours ago, tweekz said:

Please, don't post XP stuff in this thread. Oh wait... that's not Austin... 😄

Sorry mods, I hope you let me get away with this little OT contribution.

Don't ever insult Will Ferrell like that again please.🤨🤣

• Like 2

Asus Maximus X Hero Z370/ Windows 10
MSI Gaming X 1080Ti (2100 mhz OC Watercooled)
8700k (4.7ghz OC Watercooled)
32GB DDR4 3000 Ram
500GB SAMSUNG 860 EVO SERIES SSD M.2

12 hours ago, MarkW said:

Near the end on takeoff, was it showing terrain or weather on the Nav display?  I couldn't quite figure out which.

as  some  one  as mentioned  terrain it  had  terr   displayed  on the  left  hand  side  of  the  nav

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

For anyone being critical, there's literally a message before the video begins pretty much saying its a work-in-progress. PMDG doesn't and hasn't produced anything bad...ever. I'm confident they won't with the release of this plane. I know the DC-6 isn't in the same universe, but its MSFS release was flawless. 

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2