Sign in to follow this  
MDF86

PMDG MD-11 - opinions?

I too love the MD11, but my fav PMDG bird is the J41. It is the toughest plane to master IMO (i still set the engines on fire)

You won't regret the purchase.

Not as pretty as the NGX (what is??)but excellent plane.

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

I love the MD11 as well.

So far it has taken me the longest to adjust to and I do NOT feel I've mastered the plane at all. Despite the tons of automation...

PS: I've heard the MD11 didn't sell well, but between this thread and the "top 3 planes" thread seems like quite a few have bought it!

"I am the Master of the Fist!" -Akuma

In terms of the reala/c, the MD11 is more automated than the 777, and certainly much more so than the 737NG. Functionality wise, it stacks up closer to the A330 in terms of its automation. It got off (in real life) to a bad start with performance and efficiency not being as designed, and by the time the manufacturer fixed these issues there were larger engine designs designed for the A330 and B777 twins that three smaller engines just couldn't compete with,

Regarding the PMDG bird, while I would agree in the comments on the VC being not as well "eye candied" as the NGX, when you set the panel and overhead lighting to about half brightness at night, it looks really awesome with cool white back lighting to the buttons. I go between the NGX and the MD11 exclusively for big iron,and am about to include the Coolsky DC9 in that category for it's manual navigation and systems.

Also waiting for a decent A320 as others here are.... Also recognize that the PMDG 777 might compete with the MD11 in my hanger. :)

Thanks, Bruce.

+1 for the MD-11. It is a visually striking jet, and I haven't yet flown anything else that actually tenses me up on takeoff and approach like the MD-11! I get all hot and sweaty! LOL.

I agree Bruce. Like the 777, it is one of the sleekest aircraft ever built (including the DC10).

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

"The Beast" as I call her is my favorite add-on and I have pretty much every high dollar add-on there is. She can haul long or short and is an absolute pleasure to fly. This aircraft really requires special handling on take off and approach as the power it has and weight it carries can overwhelm a pilot rather quickly. Do not make "Betty" angry.

I, like others, wish PMDG would refresh her. I suspect that the 77F in Fedex livery will compete for flight time when it comes out but for now she rules supreme in my virtual hangar. The 777 just doesn't "do it" for me like the MD-11F. The NGX is a fine add-on but as another member mentioned just doesn't have a "soul".

The VC will disappoint you at first; you may even say you hate it. But slowly she will win you over.

WOW so many fans for the MD11. I am in the minority here. I find the MD11 not fun to hand fly. The pitch goes wild when applying pressure on the yoke when approaching to land. I understand that the real aircraft is not that sable ...but this feels like its outright dangerous. Ha HA.

The VC doesn't look good (I don't mean PMDG work..but the aircraft itself). II prefer the 737NGX and the 747 over the MD11

:)

Manny

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

Remember that LSAS is trying to control the pitch stability when you're handflying her. LSAS is basically auto trim in the vertical plane (except it controls the elevators rather than the trim tabs), altho LSAS doesn't work instantly, at least not PMDG's implementation. So you have to pay attention to the attitude of the plane while handlying, especially when youre transitioning from one descent profile to another (when youre intercepting the glideslope)

vatsim s3

1133704.png

I have the NGX and purchased the MD-11 after flying the NGX for almost a year. I also have the PMDG 744 but I wanted something different for long hauls. The MD-11 is a bit newer and you can tell it is better than the 744. Graphics wise the NGX is much better but the MD-11 is really fun and so different. Unlike any other plane out there with the automated systems. It is a joy to fly and its nice flying something a bit different on long hauls. Also it being a popular cargo planes makes flights to just about anywhere at any distance fairly realisitc. Whether it is MIA-PAP or LHR-DXB its a fun plane to fly. I also reccoemend it even after flying mostly the NGX. It is just a different type of plane. The 2D panels are great and the VC is a 7 out of 10 when the NGX is 10 out of 10.

I have all the PMDG planes, and I like MD-11 because it is different. Sure it is older so not as fancy of a VC like the NGX, but it still looks good. It's systems are so different, that is what makes it interesting. For example the FMS on the 747 and 737 are somewhat similar but the MD-11 is completely different, more automated.

I like to do long haul flights, and the MD-11 is great for that.

After reading this thread I am seriously considering buying it. I have always been on the fence mainly due to the price since I wasn't sure I would like it very much and of course after having the NGX since it came out and then comparing the graphics of the VC of the NGX to the MD-11 it looked a little dated. As much as I loved the LDS 767 I have pretty much shelved it since the NGX came out due mainly to the older looking VC and I didn't want to get the -11 and end up doing the same. Although since it can be had in the $50 range I might go ahead and pick it up and give it a shot. Too bad there are no freeware or payware updated .bmps for the VC to bring it a little more up to date with the NGX graphically.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

By far the best PMDG add on till date and I'm a RW 73 driver but I can't seem to get enough of the MD 11. The NGX has been sitting in the hangar ever since I made the purchase. For some reason, it just doesn't pull me in.

You won't regret adding the mighty beast to your fleet.