Sign in to follow this  
supersym

New Driver Nvidia 347.52

I'll wait then ... thanks for the info.

Seems like this driver was rushed out the door for Evolve ... which is apparently a ... drum roll ... wait for it ... wait for it ... a multiplayer shooter ... surprise surprise surprise. 

... this is disappointing news ... maybe it's time I cover my bases and get some AMD GPUs and see if the hills are any greener on that side.

Working with nVidia does seem rather futile.

No cheers, Rob. 

Nvidia goes where the money is, and money isn't in niché simulators, it's in blockbuster PC games like Evolve. Why would they spend time and resources on a small simulator install base when there are loads of huge mainstream releases that requires their attention. Most of performance increases in new nvidia driver releases are for the biggest titles, most smaller titles will have to make do with smaller fixes.

I have an AMD R9 280 3GB and while I'm happy with it I have no illusions that they will do ANYTHING for LM and P3dv2. So no, don't get your hopes up with AMD, they'll probably care less than Nvidia. Sorry to be a party pooper but I find it almost amusing that people think Nvidia or AMD are bothered about boosting P3Dv2 peformance in their respective driver releases.

Nvidia goes where the money is, and money isn't in niché simulators, it's in blockbuster PC games like Evolve. Why would they spend time and resources on a small simulator install base when there are loads of huge mainstream releases that requires their attention. Most of performance increases in new nvidia driver releases are for the biggest titles, most smaller titles will have to make do with smaller fixes.

I have an AMD R9 280 3GB and while I'm happy with it I have no illusions that they will do ANYTHING for LM and P3dv2. So no, don't get your hopes up with AMD, they'll probably care less than Nvidia. Sorry to be a party pooper but I find it almost amusing that people think Nvidia or AMD are bothered about boosting P3Dv2 peformance in their respective driver releases.

But the thing is--and I really wish someone even halfway knowledgeable could pipe in here--how many man-hours would the profile creation take? 10? 20? 50? If for no other reason then shutting us up, why not just knock the dang thing out already??

Why would they spend time and resources on a small simulator install base when there are loads of huge mainstream releases that requires their attention.

Because I have information to the contrary that they are working on a profile for Prepar3D.  I'll give nVidia until end of Q1 ... if nothing happens by Q1 then I'll take this information off my radar.

Cheers, Rob.

In the past, I might have agreed with addman, but ever since LM staff said publicly that they had been in direct contact with nVidia over several issues including SLI, I have changed my mind. The installed flight simulator base may be "tiny" compared to PC video games, but all you have to do is to look at how much effort nVidia puts into promoting CUDA and some of their other technical advances which are germane to its high end workstation video card lineup.

The mid-range consumer video cards are obviously the volume leader for nVidia, but the workstation cards and high end boutique cards like the Titan, probably have a much bigger profit margin per card. It's like comparing Hyundais to BMWs. Besides, why would the tech guys at nVidia ignore a simple request from the P3d development team at Lockheed Martin? That doesn't seem like good corporate etiquette to me.

+1 Jay - we seem to have two camps - those who are frustrated that a BIG corporation like LM can't just TELL Nvidia what to do and the other that complains that Nvidia will do nothing for the sim market because it's too small.

Some folks need to have patience.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Just thinking out loud,    If Nvidia are going to release a profile for PD3,  will that concentrate more on a Sli Optimization profile only OR/AND will it also be a general boast up for all Nvidia cards? 

How long has this been going on now? How often have we requested a progress update and nothing specific or helpful is forthcoming? How patient is patient?

I think we need to start reading between the lines. LM have given us their assurance that they are working with NVIDIA and I for one believe this to be true. So why the delay? Assuming they are indeed committed, then my guess is that NVIDIA are having a problem with Prepar3D and the creation of a Profile, including optimisations for SLI, is proving to be a significant challenge if not a nightmare. They won't admit it, of course, which is a pity. If we were given informative updates with frank explanations for these interminable delays then they would have our respect. Instead their silence breeds frustration, resentment and ill-informed speculation.

Prepar3D is a very significant product in the distinguished history of flight simulation. Popularity judged by volume of sales is largely irrelevant despite those who would protest otherwise. I think we can be assured that NVIDIA do recognise this fact and accordingly will be giving it their attention. Refusal to provide support would be a grave error of judgement and so is very unlikely to be the case.

Mike

I continue to stick with the 344.16.  They worked fine with my GTX 580 and they perform just great with the new GTX 970.

Instead their silence breeds frustration, resentment and ill-informed speculation.

I understand  your frustration Mike (and others, and myself included) ... it certainly is disheartening to see yet another mindless 3D shooter (Evolve) have a new nVidia driver available on almost the same day it's released when other titles like Prepar3D have been trying for over 1 year (15 months now) to get a profile for v2.x.

But, I'm not going to speculate why as I simply don't know.  

I've done all I can do, from sending feedback, to posting on nVidia's forums, posting videos that were reviewed by nVidia, to even contacting a friend I know at nVidia ... so however nVidia's priority process is determine, it's clearly not influenced by:

1.  who you know

2.  end user feedback

3.  the size of the title company (i.e. LM) requesting a profile

4.  the size of development resources being put into a title (Goat Simulator was made with fewer software developers than used for P3D)

5.  expected market share -- again Goat Simulator is a classic example as even the developers didn't expect the volume of sales they received, yet nVidia was there to provide a profile for them

If you know the magic keys to use at nVidia to get some priority, please do share, otherwise it's just a wait and hope 

Cheers, Rob.

I have a feeling it's simply that the profile is much more complex for P3D than any first person shooter.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Updated to latest drivers, and upon approach at default TISX in my Q400, PAPI lights working fine, then suddenly they disappeared a quarter mile out. I'll have to retest more tomorrow.

Update: Tested again today with F22 and all seems ok. Not sure what happened on the first go, but may have been an incorrect FDE setting with the q400 that may have induced some issues.

Intel i7 10700K | Asus Maximus XII Hero | Asus TUF RTX 3090 | 32GB HyperX Fury 3200 DDR4 | 1TB Samsung M.2 (W11) | 2TB Samsung M.2 (MSFS2020) | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280mm AIO | 43" Samsung Q90B | 27" Asus Monitor

I can confirm the experiences of a number of posters here that, at least on my sim, the runway lights / PAPI lights are now working at all my test airports both standard and add-on. I do also see a noticeable increase in smoothness which is quite nice as I am accustomed to new nVidia drivers breaking things. Doing my first test flight now in the T7 and so far, it looks great even with SweetFX running. 

I have a feeling it's simply that the profile is much more complex for P3D than any first person shooter.

Vic

I'd agree with that... or at least say that P3D is likely different for nVidia. It seems like all these first person shooter games likely use similar core programming or at least have similar attributes. (Again, this is only my conjecture). This would make it pretty simple to churn out another first person shooter games optimization--or at least easier. P3D/flight sims are such a different beast that I'm not surprised that it is taking time. But when someone of the likes of Lockheed Martin knocks on your door, I'm sure you do take notice.

I have a feeling it's simply that the profile is much more complex

Agreed ... however could nVidia have a problem (as several other devs have mentioned) that P3D is a moving target and until some stability is reached it's just not worthwhile to develop a Profile.  Now that 2.5 has been released with a revised file structure (final?) in place I hope Rob's guesstimate of end Q1 will prove accurate.