ErichB

23 May - P3D V4's Birthday

Recommended Posts

Presumably half of its life is over - but there's alot still to be packed in before the planes in the hangar sing.    

Looking forward to seeing what's up over the next few months.

 

Too early for a V5 spec thread?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Is it every two years, a new version comes out? Just thinkinking, I started with version v2.1 in 2013(?)

Share this post


Link to post

The cycle is less than 2 years.

Version 2.0: December 2013

Version 3.0: September 2015

Version 4.0: May 2017

I can imagine Version 5.0 to be released around the end of this year.

I know, you like Prepar3d, Erich, and I effectively like it, too, although we enjoy different styles of flying. However, I feel they better pack 5.0 with a number of essential new features and elimininate some annoyances to stay competitive for the dedicated simmer.

Kind regards, Michael

 

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post

Incidentally, my birthday too. 83 going strong!

  • Like 7
  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
16 minutes ago, lennie said:

Incidentally, my birthday too. 83 going strong!

Wow..happy birthday!

Share this post


Link to post
43 minutes ago, pmb said:

The cycle is less than 2 years.

Version 2.0: December 2013

Version 3.0: September 2015

Version 4.0: May 2017

I can imagine Version 5.0 to be released around the end of this year.

I know, you like Prepar3d, Erich, and I effectively like it, too, although we enjoy different styles of flying. However, I feel they better pack 5.0 with a number of essential new features and elimininate some annoyances to stay competitive for the dedicated simmer.

Kind regards, Michael

 

Agreed.  Does seem like XP11 is starting to come on strong.  I think the Orbx True Earth updates are a great step.   A much better user interface would be nice.  Maybe to appease DTG they buy their UI code.  

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

Still using version 3(.4)  which is still working well for me ( wow didn't realize it was 3 years old. ) I think when 5.0 comes out, it will be time to buy a new PC and move to 5, for sure. 

Edited by Bobsk8

Share this post


Link to post

I'm loving the stability of v4.2.  I mainly fly PMDG with ActiveSky and plenty of add-on sceneries.  CTDs are very rare, and of course 64-bit killed the dreaded OOM!

I'm in no rush to see a v5.  It would be nice if down the road LM updates major land marks airports from their 2006 layout and add new ones built since.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
57 minutes ago, pmb said:

However, I feel they better pack 5.0 with a number of essential new features and elimininate some annoyances to stay competitive for the dedicated simmer.

I love the addons for P3D, but I can tell you now that if V5 doesn't include significant and much wanted changes, I will very likely move to the dark side.

Share this post


Link to post

I have too much invested in P3D add-ons to ever switch platforms.  I love v4 and could live with it indefinitely. 

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, ErichB said:

I love the addons for P3D, but I can tell you now that if V5 doesn't include significant and much wanted changes, I will very likely move to the dark side.

I agree 100%

The sim feels like it's still FSX with some new fixes .

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post

 

16 minutes ago, fakeflyer737 said:

I agree 100%

The sim feels like it's still FSX with some new fixes .

say that enough times and they give you a 5 day ban. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Man I can't afford another upgrade.😢 Spent mucho stepping up from FSX STEAM this year. Are all the study sim developers going to want a repurchase? If so not from this po boy.

Share this post


Link to post

I feel like I’m just getting to know v4!  Hard to imagine we could potentially be halfway to v5.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, fakeflyer737 said:

I agree 100%

The sim feels like it's still FSX with some new fixes .

I think we tend to forget that if they strayed too far from the ESP engine, none of the current addons would work, and we would have to repurchase everything.  No developers will complete redo thier addons for free, and nor should they.  I think they have done a great job advancing ESP are far as they have.  I have XP11 as well, and yes some things are great, but it is not superior to P3D IMO, it is just different.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post

I just had a wonderful flight in P3D v4.2 from KIAD to KDEN (both Flightbeam) in the PMDG 744 with all the usual ASP4/ASCA Orbx ect.... 

No doubt P3Dv4 is great with 64-bit as the most essential feature, but I cannot wait for v5 and look forward to it very much; even sitting on the edge of my seat for v4.3 🏗️

Share this post


Link to post
17 hours ago, ErichB said:

I love the addons for P3D, but I can tell you now that if V5 doesn't include significant and much wanted changes, I will very likely move to the dark side.

Psst, Erich. I did it already. With FSEnhancer, Environment+ and FSGRW for X-Plane, even the weather is very convincing.

I do not want to hear all the people screaming when V5 eventually breaks compatibility with their hard-earned payware addons...

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

I personally do not believe that P3D v5 will come out this year, since there have only been 2 updates for v4 so far. Before a new version comes out, LM usually releases four point updates and some hotfixes. It is fine by me if v5 will be released at the end of 2019 (I am still using v3, and I would jump to v5 with a new hardware update). Also remember that v2 came out three years after the first release of v1.

Share this post


Link to post
8 minutes ago, Afterburner said:

Also remember that v2 came out three years after the first release of v1.

That's true.

Share this post


Link to post

May be a dumb question, why do LM need to release v 5.0 ? What are good reasons ?

Regards

Share this post


Link to post
9 minutes ago, Prayog said:

May be a dumb question, why do LM need to release v 5.0 ? What are good reasons

Of course they don't 'have' to, but the assumption is that they will.  Looking forward to the next best thing (speculation)  is fun, if nothing else.

 

Share this post


Link to post
13 minutes ago, Prayog said:

May be a dumb question, why do LM need to release v 5.0 ? What are good reasons ?

There's certainly one very good reason: They want to collect new money which they don't earn with mere point releases.

Kind regards, Michael

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
14 minutes ago, ErichB said:

Of course they don't 'have' to, but the assumption is that they will.  Looking forward to the next best thing (speculation)  is fun, if nothing else.

 

😄

8 minutes ago, pmb said:

There's certainly one very good reason: They want to collect new money which they don't earn with mere point releases.

Kind regards, Michael

Sure, they have to run the department there.. Just thinking it from features point of view. Considering all the add-ons available around, what is that LM would bring in in 5.0 (that they cannot/wouldnot in 4.x), definitely nothing that hurt any of add-on manufacturers..

Regards

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, curt1 said:

I have too much invested in P3D add-ons to ever switch platforms.  I love v4 and could live with it indefinitely. 

I don't even want to think about the money I invested in P3D (or any other sim) but as soon as something better comes along I will get it and if I like it more than the other sim I will switch to it. Life is too short to stick with one sim, specially if it has a lot of limitations. 😎

7 hours ago, pracines said:

I cannot wait for v5 and look forward to it very much

You don't even know yet what v5 will bring so what exactly are you excited about? All I know it that it will cost money and that a lot of addons may need to be updated again... Not something to get excited about. 😉 Of course, if v5 comes with a 400% improvement to performance (to bring it to Aerofly levels 😋) I might get excited but until then v4 (alongside with a few other sims) is fine with me. 

To reply to both quotes at once: at this moment I am way more excited about the upcoming Deadstick Bush Flight SImulator than anything P3D related.

Edited by J van E

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now