Sign in to follow this  
andyjohnston.net

You Can't Go Back

20 hours ago, Bobsk8 said:

. I am one satisfied flight simmer now, after struggling for dozens of years trying to reach a point that I was happy with. Nothing else needed for me. 

Thats wonderfull to hear Bob.

I cannot even bring myself to work out how much I spent on addon for P3D. But its all in the passed. The last few day I am enjoying the CJ4 with v10 of mod, and that I am enjoying that as much as I did my beloved FSL A320. With My PC now balanced with my GPU its a wonderfull thing. Dev's that do interviews monthy and give updates and on going work all the time. Personly I could not ask for more. Well for them to not make silly mistakes but hey we all do. The only down side for me about this sim is this forum. P3D Community was wonderful unlike...

Edited by Nyxx
  • Like 3

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

1 hour ago, Nyxx said:

. The only down side for me about this sim is this forum. P3D Community was wonderful unlike...

Reminds me of the MS Flight forum years back. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

1 hour ago, Christopher Low said:

One sim to rule them all, one sim to find them. One sim to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them. In the land of Microsoft, where the shadows lie...

Something to think about if you start seeing the Lidless Eye in your dreams :wink::laugh:

Matter of taste, nobody will ever rule your own taste.

Cheers, Ed

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

20 hours ago, DAD said:

Is that cloudy question mark is pure coincidence I assume?

Wow, I genuinely hadn't noticed that DAD. That is weird. . .and quite possibly coincidental!

Spooky . . .

• Like 1

It's a funny thing you know, but last night I fancied taking a 777 for a spin (watching out for RHS engine fires :biggrin: ). Decided to fire up FSX, not a payware aircraft, something I picked up from a VA I briefly belonged to.

The first thing with FSX was having to engage screen magnifier to see the tiny, tiny unscaleable menu font on a 4K monitor. Flight set up and running, drop in the 777 cockpit - switch to F9 and no textures, everything just white. Back to the 2D view which occupies two thirds of the screen with the panel. External view also just all white - the age old DirectX issue again I guess. Taxi out to the active, everything is flat as a pancake. Engines spool up, not very impressive or jet like TBH. Airborne and climbing to altitude, the world below looks like a flat chequerboard with the same terrain pattern repeating itself into the distance. Nice clouds, but that's about all.

Admittedly I never got round to reinstalling FS Global or FScene which might have added a better mesh (I was taking off from Kiev in the Ukraine and heading north). I'm now about to try the same flight in MSFS and expect the visual and aural delights will be much improved.

So despite having been a sceptic, yes I admit there really is no going back to FSX and seriously considering just uninstalling the whole shebang. If only we could get some more tubeliners into MSFS for those of us who enjoy the big iron...

Edited by Elvensmith
  • Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, Elvensmith said:

It's a funny thing you know, but last night I fancied taking a 777 for a spin (watching out for RHS engine fires :biggrin: ). Decided to fire up FSX, not a payware aircraft, something I picked up from a VA I briefly belonged to.

The first thing with FSX was having to engage screen magnifier to see the tiny, tiny unscaleable menu font on a 4K monitor. Flight set up and running, drop in the 777 cockpit - switch to F9 and no textures, everything just white. Back to the 2D view which occupies two thirds of the screen with the panel. External view also just all white - the age old DirectX issue again I guess. Taxi out to the active, everything is flat as a pancake. Engines spool up, not very impressive or jet like TBH. Airborne and climbing to altitude, the world below looks like a flat chequerboard with the same terrain pattern repeating itself into the distance. Nice clouds, but that's about all.

Admittedly I never got round to reinstalling FS Global or FScene which might have added a better mesh (I was taking off from Kiev in the Ukraine and heading north). I'm now about to try the same flight in MSFS and expect the visual and aural delights will be much improved.

So despite having been a sceptic, yes I admit there really is no going back to FSX and seriously considering just uninstalling the whole shebang. If only we could get some more tubeliners into MSFS for those of us who enjoy the big iron...

FSX was released in 2006....   

I abandoned FSX 11 years ago, long before MSFS....

Edited by GSalden
  • Upvote 1

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

On 2/22/2021 at 2:32 AM, BillC said:

I go back to FSX every time I want to fly big-tin IFR in a true study level airliner because I simply can't do that in MSFS (yet). For VFR it's MSFS every time. Horses for courses for the time being.

I’m having the same conundrum. MSFS newbie, and recently retired airline pilot, just wanting to chair fly a realistic gate to gate profile for nostalgia and not atrophy a lifelong skill set. I bought a gaming computer, stick and throttle and FS2020. Love the graphics but  completely underwhelmed at the lack of functionality of AP, FMS, MCDU on the airliners, and no PMDG plug-ins for the foreseeable future. 

I also have the old FSX Steam version without any plug-ins on another computer, and am thinking I might be better served for my purposes by downloading it to my new computer and buying a PMDG 747-400 module. Realistic graphics are nice but I can live with something as simple as the FMS desktop procedures trainers we used to have at work. For the time being it seems like there are far more resources for study level airliner support on the old FSX

28 minutes ago, Nm2far said:

I’m having the same conundrum. MSFS newbie, and recently retired airline pilot, just wanting to chair fly a realistic gate to gate profile for nostalgia and not atrophy a lifelong skill set. I bought a gaming computer, stick and throttle and FS2020. Love the graphics but  completely underwhelmed at the lack of functionality of AP, FMS, MCDU on the airliners, and no PMDG plug-ins for the foreseeable future. 

I also have the old FSX Steam version without any plug-ins on another computer, and am thinking I might be better served for my purposes by downloading it to my new computer and buying a PMDG 747-400 module. Realistic graphics are nice but I can live with something as simple as the FMS desktop procedures trainers we used to have at work. For the time being it seems like there are far more resources for study level airliner support on the old FSX

Just go and download the Working Title mod for the CJ4 from Github and don't waste your money on FSX.

9 minutes ago, kakihara123 said:

Just go and download the Working Title mod for the CJ4 from Github and don't waste your money on FSX.

👍🏼 Looks very interesting, not a Boeing which I was hoping for, but looks like it will scratch the itch until something else becomes available 

@Nm2far The A32NX by FlyByWire is way ahead of anything else and there are a number of A320Neo pilots working with them.

There are now 4 versions to work from. Go to their Discord Channel for their installer and read what they are doing for the forth version.

Martin

Martin Parr

Retired professional yacht skipper for vessels up to 46m

System: Omen 30L GT13-0054na Gaming PC; Windows 10 Home  64-bit OS; Intel Core i9-10900K CPU @ 3.7GHz; RAM 32GB; Samsung S34J55x Monitor 3440x1440 @75 Hz Resolution; NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti. MSFS P/D; TM Pendular Rudder Pedals, TM Warthog Hortas Throttle/Joystick Combo.

On 2/21/2021 at 8:40 PM, Bobsk8 said:

FSX looked old to me when I switched to P3D many years ago. FSX got me to give up simming for years. 

FSX kept me on FS9 for years.  All the way up to FS2020.

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

27 minutes ago, Dillon said:

FSX kept me on FS9 for years.  All the way up to FS2020.

Same here for a couple of years . I just couldnt get into fsx , dont know why . 

Tried P3D again with so much spent on it.  Nope . No go.  Just feeling too old and tired.  Time to move on.  Even though missing all the complex airliners, it has no appeal anymore. 

But the main thing is, MFS is maturing quite fast relative to what we experienced in previous sims.  Theres a huge amount of development interest out there and so happy to see the freeware modding is stronger than ever. 

Keep in mind, Orbx was charging for small sections of a country or even a US State.   North/South Germany, North South California, England, Ireland, Northern Ireland.  Now we have a full UK update, Full USA update, and upcoming Benelux all for free or paid for when purchased MFS.  I'd say thats a pretty good deal.   Not that I want 3PDs to die, but saving money is not so bad either, and they will find ways to better it. They have the talent.  Just so long its not nickle and diming every little feature.   

The complex airliners will come.   

CYVR LSZH 

http://f9ixu0-2.png

I agree, it is hard to go back.  I switched from FSX to P3D when it first came out (boy that was a tough version when released), and never went back.  Then I went to P3Dv5 to MSFS after USA update release (wanted to give it time to mature a little as they rushed release... beta?  What beta?).  So now I haven't been really back to P3D at all.  All versions are still installed but I just slowly see myself being drawn more and more to MSFS.  Granted I am more of scenery simmer than a systems simmer so I don't miss ultra modeled aircraft. 

What I like is how it has seemed to bring back the freeware modeler to the platform... a part of the hobby that seemed missing with P3D versions.   I think good times are ahead of us.

Edited by Clutch Cargo
  • Like 2

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU
Netgear 1Gbps modem & router, (3) 27" 1440 wrap-around displays
Full array of Saitek and GoFlight hardware for the cockpit

On 2/23/2021 at 12:36 PM, Christopher Low said:

One sim to rule them all, one sim to find them. One sim to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them. In the land of Microsoft, where the shadows lie...

Something to think about if you start seeing the Lidless Eye in your dreams :wink::laugh:

Well, I can see ocassional spikes, if that counts.

Happy with MSFS 🙂
home simming evolved