Sign in to follow this  
1st fltsimguy

Help Choosing Best Weather Engine

I have bought a new NCIX gaming PC build.

I am reinstalling a new FSX setup and parallel P3Dv3.

I have REX Essentials + OD.

I just bought REX4 with Soft Clouds.

I started to install REX4 with Soft Clouds but figured I better do some reading and research first.

Now I'm really wondering what the heck to do.  Should I install the REX4 with Soft Clouds AND REX essentials + OD together.  Using REX4 textures and Essentials + OD as the weather engine?

Or from other users experience....should I get another weather engine to drive the REX4 with Soft Clouds?

You folks got a recommendation or two for me?  I would really appreciate it.

cheers

Bryan

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Get ASN

Install all your REX stuff but use ASN as your weather engine.

Personally I prefer REX Essentials + OD + Soft clouds for my textures (more choice and better control over water)

There is a recent (last several days) thread where we discussed this exact matter in fairly good detail.

Summary:  ASN, but with an eye towards REX Weather Force when it's released later this year.

ASN = Eye candy weather

Not sure how you come to this conclusion, given that ASN doesn't include textures. In any way, ASN offers a demo, so everyone can check it out for themselves.

Peter

ASN = Eye candy weather

FSGRW= Real weather.

Sorry ASN fans. I agree here with FSGRW.  I get remarkable accuracy compared to my real world flight planning at FltPlan.com and as a former USAF meteorologist that's important to me. On my system, FSX Gold and my system specs are in my signature, I get no wx update hesitations from FSGRW.

I also agree with REX E OD+ for textures vs ASN, which is perhaps (my  guess) the basis of his eye candy remark.

Wonder what happened with OPUS? they hit the ground running unopposed a few years back and now ...nothing

Sorry ASN fans. I agree here with FSGRW. I get remarkable accuracy compared to my real world flight planning at FltPlan.com and as a former USAF meteorologist that's important to me. On my system, FSX Gold and my system specs are in my signature, I get no wx update hesitations from FSGRW.

I used FSGRW for a while before changing to ASN and had very different results. The main problem I had was that there was a short freeze for a couple of seconds in FSX each time FSGRW updated which eventually became a showstopper for me, particularly if it happened on short finals. I've never noticed ASN updating. I also found that the same weather looked a little more sparse in FSGRW when compared directly with ASN. I was a professional pilot for over 30 years before retiring so have a pretty good idea of how data from a METAR should look (but, obviously, not to your standard, Frank!). That said, I stopped using FSGRW some time ago so things may have changed with later versions.

I also agree with REX E OD+ for textures vs ASN, which is perhaps (my guess) the basis of his eye candy remark.

As Peter pointed out above, ASN only provides the weather information to FSX and relies on programs like REX to provide the textures. I think the "eye candy" comment is probably down to the more detailed weather depiction with ASN compared to FSGRW (IMHO, of course).

Wonder what happened with OPUS? they hit the ground running unopposed a few years back and now ...nothing

You took the words right out of my mouth. It never gets mentioned..

I have to agree with Active Sky Next. I just purchased it yesterday after trying out the demo a few weeks ago. Before I bought ASN, I tried the free FSXWX that someone linked to above. I tried it after the ASN demo. ASN is a much better weather engine, and FSXWX made FSX intermittently crash. Plus, with ASN, the weather radar functions in my PMDG aircraft, which is an awesome addition. The first day of using the ASN demo, I went to my home town airport as there were pretty heavy storms in the area. I was in the PMDG 737 and during take off, I saw "wind shear" as I was at VR. I rotated, gained a few feet of altitude, and was suddenly slammed back down onto the runway. I have never had anything like that happen with the default weather engine.

ASN=eye candy weather.

i will say, that ASN most favorite cumulus in all weathersituations.

also it show cumulus clouds in 20000 fts and above.

that can not be real. The most clouds in real are stratus.

and also ASN did not show any regions without clouds.

With ASN i get always clouds. 

in FSGRW its possible to get real stratus, and also its possible to get like in real weather that have no clouds.

but let me say, FSGRW did have troubles with thunderstorms outside US.

no one of both programs for me is perfect. 

So i favour ASN for eyecandy flights,

and for real-simulated flights special over oceans, i favour FSGRW.

sorry for bad english... 

ASN is great, have it on a networked pc. Smooth as silk, no stutters when injecting weather. Don't get it from Steam though, I heard you can't use it for a future upgrade to P3D then.

Don't get it from Steam though, I heard you can't use it for a future upgrade to P3D then.

And the steam version cannot be run networked as far as I know

Do not know the specific situation with any other weather engine, but with FSGRW and REX textures it is important to have a seasonally correct texture set installed from REX.  If you are using REX textures with another weather engine it might also be the case.  For example if in Spring and Summer you still have a Fall or Winter type texture set installed by REX, like stratocumulus, stratus, and altostratus, you will not likely get Spring and Summer type cumulus, towering cumulus, and cumulonimbus clouds, and the thunderstorms you encounter will have lightening and thunder but will not look like thunderstorms.  Of course the opposite holds true if you are using Spring/Summer textures in the Fall and Winter.

For example if in Spring and Summer you still have a Fall or Winter type texture set installed by REX, like stratocumulus,stratus, and altostratus, you will not likely get Spring and Summer type cumulus, towering cumulus, and cumulonimbus clouds,

What we really need is a meteorologist to explain to us non meteorologists exactly what types of clouds to use for each season.

Frank the floor is yours

What we really need is a meteorologist to explain to us non meteorologists exactly what types of clouds to use for each season.

Frank the floor is yours

Glynn, enough basic information is there to work with in that last post. My comments were to make a point that if you are not seeing the right type of clouds it might be your installed textures, and might not be your weather engine.

Any cloud type can present itself in any season, but probabilities are a different story. The higher the base level of the clouds the more consistent is their appearance across all seasons. Thus cirrus clouds at higher altitudes show the least seasonal variation. Alto type clouds such as altostratus and altocumulus appear at mid levels, typically from 6,000 ft to 15,000 ft can also appear consistently across all seasons, but altocumulus clouds will appear more often in warm seasons and altostratus more often in cooler seasons.

The lower the base level the more the variation from season to season. So those puffy cumulus clouds, tall cumulus clouds referred to as towering cumulus, and cumulonimbus anvils or thunderheads appear at a higher instance when the ground is warmer. The convection from the rising of the warm air is what provides the vertical dimension, and also the storm characteristics. Flatter based stratus and stratocumulus clouds will appear more often in cooler weather seasons, but can also routinely appear following a frontal passage in warmer seasons, flowing over the cooler air behind a cool front, advancing ahead of a warm front, or along an occluded front.

REX's texture sets do not give finite control. It is more like pick a cumulus/cumulonimbus set for warm weather and a stratocumulus or nimbostratus texture set for cooler seasons. Of course if in the middle of Winter you decide to take a trip to the Caribbean, you might want to adjust back to a warmer weather texture set.

Here are links to a couple of good sites that discuss cloud types. The first link specifically discusses warm weather types.

http://www.theweathernetwork.com/news/articles/the-9-types-of-clouds-you-meet-in-the-spring-and-summer/50572

http://nenes.eas.gatech.edu/Cloud/Clouds.pdf

I yield back....

Many thanks Frank, a very informative post,  it's probably only me that's lacking an understanding on cloud types and what conditions they are most likely to be found in, but maybe there are others amongst us that could really do with some schooling on this stuff.

and also ASN did not show any regions without clouds.

With ASN i get always clouds. 

that sounds unusual, when i have a clear METAR the weather shows clear with ASN, it usually matches pretty much exactly.. maybe something strange was going on with your settings. i did notice they set by default the option of any broken clouds being forced to 7/8 coverage, which it looks better (and more variety) with that setting off imho.

anyway cheers

-andy crosby

REX's texture sets do not give finite control.

Thanks for this enlightening post, Frank. So if I understand correctly, ASN itself works fine, it is just the combination with REX clouds that leads to the depiction of erroneous clouds?

Peter

that sounds unusual, when i have a clear METAR the weather shows clear with ASN, it usually matches pretty much exactly.. maybe something strange was going on with your settings. i did notice they set by default the option of any broken clouds being forced to 7/8 coverage, which it looks better (and more variety) with that setting off imho.

anyway cheers

-andy crosby

hello, no problem in my settings.

HIFI know about this problem says its a problem with interpolation, when flying in greater zone, where no much  Metar stations are, like great deserts in Aftrica or oceans.

ASN did interpolate "random" cloud levels, and did not depict real weather on some places. 

and HIFI can not fix this now. so my ticket from support was closed.

FSGRW did make the same (interpolation) , but in FSGRW its possible to fly over deserts (in Africa)  and you will over hundreds of miles really not see any cloud, (try this with ASN, its not possible to see some cloud less weather;)

and you can switch to "real visible" sattelite photos (not infrared)  where in the world are great places with no clouds,

with ASN you will get there some clouds (most cumulus).

Thanks for this enlightening post, Frank. So if I understand correctly, ASN itself works fine, it is just the combination with REX clouds that leads to the depiction of erroneous clouds?

Peter

I do not feel I said anything remotely close to that!  I never made a statement about erroneous clouds about any weather engine.  Only stated what may be done seasonally to get more accurate texture types from REX.