Sign in to follow this  
Kilo60

PMDG 737NGXu First Impressions and Review!

4 hours ago, Benjamin J said:

HALLELUJA

Well, I for one am thrilled about that. I was going to ask, but then I already bought the aircraft so I figured I'd look at it tonight. But seeing you mentioning it is a giant relief. The fact is that, these days, especially outside Europe, there are hundreds of 737 routes that last over 2 hours and I just don't have the patience or time to sit through 2+ hours of a flight. Time compression a la PMDG  is a GOLDEN feature to me. It has enabled me to do several longhaul 747 and 777 flights that I would NOT be able to do otherwise. So glad to see it implemented in the 737 now. Take OrbX's AYPY, for one. Been wanting to fly out and into this place since forever, but very few routes are short enough that I'm able to fly them, and those that are don't utilize a 737. But, now I can finally do AYPY-YSSY in a reasonable time. So excited!

Also thrilled to hear performance is not too different from the NGX. It is currently my best-performing plane, which is excellent given that it's so widely used. For example, the likes of LAX are NGX-only airports for me due to the better performance I get with the NGX. It's great to hear I can expect performance to not be much worse with the NGXu.

At any rate, I was going to do KATL-KBHM with the Maddog tonight, but perhaps I'll go for a quick KOAK-KBUR to test the NGXu!

I'll add that I'm normally not one to jump on a plane instantly, usually because of the cost (I've been considering, and still refrain from buying, the FSLabs A320 for well over a year now, mostly due to its cost). However, in this case PMDG offers the 100$ credit for MSFS2020 NG3, and so I see the 100$ for the NGXu as an investment of sorts. I'll almost crtainly get the NG3 when it arrives for MSFS2020, so to me it's a no-brainer.

EDIT: guess I read some other posts that suggest that performance is terrible compared to the NGX... which is sad. I suppose mileage will vary. I do wonder to what extent the NGXu represents an in-development product? Meaning, that it's some sort of spin-off from the NG3, which itself appears not finished. How does that reflect on the NGXu, then?

It's also interesting to read people's impressions on the VC. My two cents: it seems to me that the modeling is better, and I appreciate what appear to be high resolution textures, making labels of buttons and switched easier to read. I do agree the VC seems a little cartoonish, and I'm sure this relates to the fact that PMDG opted to model a clean cockpit, rather than a dirty one, such as in the NGX. Not sure why they made this switch, because I would have preferred a more worn cockpit, personally. That this has nothing to do with the use of PBR instead of phototextures is evident by considering the Leonardo Maddog VC, which is PBR and looks very worn and is, overall, beautiful.

I agree. I’m very happy with it. Price for me is well worth it. Performance on my machine is great. Here in Manitoba you’d pay more for a carton of cigarettes - I kid you not. Glad I’m a non smoker, lol.....rather spend it on flight sim things.

I just completed a flight with no time compression (MPTO - MROC - MNMG - MPTO) and I'm very happy with this release. No issues with textures observed (using a 65" 4K)... Regarding performance, all I can say is that I'm a happy camper, great FPS, very smooth and no CTD (using latest nvidia driver). If you have the money I say go for it...

The only negative thing is that at this moment there are not a lot of repaints available... 😉

Great job PMDG... (I'm still waiting for your 787)... 🙂

A few pics...

Dv9qfG.jpg

lz7gte.jpg

IcwgKu.jpg

MtYHB0.jpg

cxqGQy.jpg

wNw8TS.jpg

wf7PpC.jpg

7kxJGD.jpg

ntW5Tk.jpg

Ub0XMN.jpg

• Like 1

Intel i9 13900KS - MSI MEG Z790 ACE Gaming - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - Corsair 32GB DDR5 7200MHz Dominator Platinum RGB - Samsung 1TB + 3x 2TB 980 Pro M.2 SSD Raid 0 - LG 4K 55" OLED C1 - EVGA SuperNOVA 1600 T2 PSU - Virpil Constellation Alpha L & R Grips + MongoosT-50CM2 Grip + MongoosT-50CM2 Base + MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle + Control Panel #2 + Ace Collection Pedals - Honeycomb Alpha XPC + Bravo - Stream Deck XL + PLUS - Corsair K100 OPX RGB Platinum + Nightsword RGB + MM800 RGB Polaris + 7000D Airflow Black Case - Tobii Eye Tracker 5 using OpenTrack - Wharfedale Evo 4.2 Speakers - SVS SB-2000 Pro Subwoofer - Bluesound POWERNODE - Herman Miller Embody Chair Black - ButtKicker Gamer PRO

I just bought it for MSF2020 and I also just bought the 777 two weeks ago, it's been an expensive month especially as the Australian to US dollar is so bad.

Running i5-9600K @ 4.8ghz - 32GB DDR4 3200mhz - GTX 3070.

Question for those who have the NGXu...did PMDG do something to smooth out the airspeed indicator during climb/descent?  The old NGX had a really aggravating ratcheting effect where the IAS indication would tick a fraction of a knot every second during climbs/descents.  This was presumably caused by use of the uncorrected raw IAS data from the sim, which does that "ratcheting" as a consequence of the OAT updating only once per second. 

Their later add-ons, the 777 and 747, seem to have tamed this, probably by internally interpolating the data to support gauge refresh independent of the 18Hz sim update cycle. 

I'm hoping to see the same improvement in the new panel.

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

22 hours ago, Hypofx said:

is it compatible with standalone MCP and EFIS hardware? I have the VirtualAvonics MCP,EFIS and on tablet the FMC

I have the Virtual Avionics MCP and EFIS and it is not working with them at all.  My Flightdeck Solutions CDU is partly working.  All of the buttons work, but the screen is black. I can look at the screen in the VC and push my buttons on the hardware CDU.

• Like 1

My thoughts:

1) The PFD is VERY smooth! The Alt and SPD used to jump around, but it looks like they did a ton of improvement

2) I flew at night, KEWR to KCLT and I had very good frames even with all the lights on

3) The controls seem a bit touchier than I'm used to but it could be my setup

4) The taxi light, at night, seems to light up the cockpit a bit

5) EFB very welcome addition

6) I have to get used to the new cockpit textures. It's been 8 years of the old version. Also the cockpit seemed cramped for me.

7) Some new sounds in the cockpit and it seems like the engines have more bass. Particularity on descent.

8 ) Couple of new options in the plane.

For those who are interested they DO have the split scimitar do some models in the Ops Center.

That's it for now. I have to do more flights.

• Like 1

"I am the Master of the Fist!" -Akuma

Just taking her up now and wow ******* talk about immersive. 

The cockpit geometry is defiantly improved and the sounds are amazing and being in the cockpit environment doesn't even want me to look outside the windows haha.

This is above the Q400 now for immersiveness for me it's a great place to be.

Can't wait for MS2020!!

Just a quick question.....why would the VC look "cartoonish" because it is rendered clean and new? If that were the case, then every real world airliner that has just rolled off the assembly line would have a "cartoonish" VC. I think it is more a case of everyone is used to seeing worn VCs, and so a brand new one will look "different".

Edited by Christopher Low
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Can anyone with a mid-ranged system please elaborate on performance? I'm still on an old 4770K@4.5GHz + GTX1070 system and would like to know how it compares to the old NGX.

• Like 1

i7-10700K@5.0GHz ∣ Asus ROG Strix Gaming Z490-E Gaming ∣ 32Gb@3600MHz ∣ AMD Radeon 6900 XT

2 hours ago, carlito777 said:

Can anyone with a mid-ranged system please elaborate on performance? I'm still on an old 4770K@4.5GHz + GTX1070 system and would like to know how it compares to the old NGX.

It's fine I'm on a 9600k @ 4.8 with a 2070 @ 1440p. 30fps.  Just load default plane fly around and tweak then load NG3 and fly around and tweak. It'll come down to how much autogen you can pump out.

• Like 1

OK, I bought it. It seems that the VC in reality OK compared with some cartoonish look in videos (at least on my side, with PTA is ok).  Sounds immersion is nice, reflections are also a nice touch.

A little harder on fps though sometimes. I like the glowing lights during fire test 🙂

Valentin Rusu

AMD Ryzen 5900x OC, EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3, DDR4 32GB @3200MHz, Samsung 840 PRO Raid for Win 10 Pro, Samsung 960 PR0 512GB NVMe SSD for P3D v4.5

I have flown every version of the PMDG 737. The NGXu is the best one yet. I am actually getting better FPS with the NGXu over the NGX at Fly Tampa's KBOS, Aerosoft Boston city, and Orbx LC North American while using REX skyforce Rex environment force and Active sky. It is smoother and sharper. The plus is the credit for FS2020 if I migrate to it. My system is i7 8700 OC 4.9 GHZ and a 1080 GPU.

Greg

• Like 2

Greg Morin

Commercial ASMEL Instrument CFI

Beta Tester i Blue Yonder, Flightbeam and Milviz

Hi, I have some questions for this new NGXu.
1) If I have understood correctly it is a remake of the one currently in existence (NGX), right?
2) For example, is it possible to use it also with Ryanair livery as it was the previous NGX?
3) Can both NGXu and NGX versions be installed in the sim?
Thanks.

29 minutes ago, gianmarcoragazzoni said:

Hi, I have some questions for this new NGXu.
1) If I have understood correctly it is a remake of the one currently in existence (NGX), right?
2) For example, is it possible to use it also with Ryanair livery as it was the previous NGX?
3) Can both NGXu and NGX versions be installed in the sim?
Thanks.

1)They say it's a rebuilt from the ground. Nothing much from the old aircraft is in, so I tend to believe them. BUt it's still an 737NG so don't expect too much change.

2)There is a default Ryanair livery

3)Yes

Guillaume

YouTube Channel : The Flying Frog (P3D flying)

My Flickr Gallery : clicky clicky

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D at 4.5 Ghz Motherboard: Gigabyte AORUS X470 Ultra Gaming RAM: 32 Gb GPU: 1x RTX 2080 TI OS : Win 10 PRO Display : Philips BD4350UC (4K 43" display) + 1 AOC 21" FHD side display
Hardware: Virpil WarBRD Base with WarBRD Grip OR Warthog Grip, VPC ACE Collection Rudder Pedals, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle, Goflight MCP Pro, 2x Saitek Radios, 1x Saitek Multipanel, 1x Saitek Proflight Switch, Custom homecockpit.

7 hours ago, w6kd said:

Question for those who have the NGXu...did PMDG do something to smooth out the airspeed indicator during climb/descent?  The old NGX had a really aggravating ratcheting effect where the IAS indication would tick a fraction of a knot every second during climbs/descents.  This was presumably caused by use of the uncorrected raw IAS data from the sim, which does that "ratcheting" as a consequence of the OAT updating only once per second. 

Their later add-ons, the 777 and 747, seem to have tamed this, probably by internally interpolating the data to support gauge refresh independent of the 18Hz sim update cycle. 

I'm hoping to see the same improvement in the new panel.

The airspeed indicator on my system is very smooth, at least to my eye. Overall, I’m pleased with this new 737, having flown the NGX for years. 

Wayne Klockner
United Virtual

BetaTeamB.png