Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jwenham

737 NGX concerns and questions

I really want to get the 737 NGX and was ready to pull the plug tonight and get her but I really dont have a warm fuzzy feeling about getting it yet. I have seen only a few topics started where people are happy with it but I am reading post after post after post about this problem and that problem and CTD's on systems that never had issues prior, ect., ect. With all the hype and pomp and circumstance prior to the release of it I really expected more happy customers than I am seeing. Dont get me wrong, I did and do expect a certain amount of bugs and patches and such on a new add-on like this, especially with how extreemly detailed it is systems wise but I am reluctant with buying it at least for the time being. I do have a pretty good system and am running a 64 bit OS (good ol XP still) and I now run very dense scenery/autogen even at JFK or even PNW with nice results and smooth flight but fear that will all go away with the 737 NGX. So... here are a few questions for you all. I DO NOT want to make this topic one big pissing match, so if your response can't be civil I dont want to read it. Also I am not trying to make PMDG look bad in any way, I just want to be happy with my purchase. (yes I am a tightwad with my money, especially these days) 1) If you knew what you know now, would you still get the NGX? 2) Are you getting the performance expected from your system in the NGX? 3) Have you had to turn down sliders to get acceptable performance? 4) Does PMDG have a refund policy like F1 has? Thanks in advance for your answers/opinions and PLEASE lets keep this civil! Thanks, Jim

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

1 Yes2 Yes3 No4 No I've had almost zero issues with this amazing bird I LOVE IT!

1. Yes. I haven't had any problems with the NGX except for one where I tried to turn on auto hide the windows taskbar which caused grahpical corruption. Not sure if that is a problem of the NGX or FSX but how many times do you need to switch the taskbar autohide? I was able to save the flight and restart FSX, surprisingly the saved flight then worked perfectly. Would have been really nice if they had included a tutorial on how to start the aircraft from cold and dark though. 2. Yes. A quick framerate test gave me 70fps for the default 737, 42fps for the LevelD 767 and 37fps for the PMDG NGX 3. Yes (but then my definition of acceptable performance may be different from yours). I've turned the autogen down to sparse but still been able to land at default Melbourne and Sydney comfortably. 4. No. The last plane I bought from PMDG, the JS41, didn't work so well (with CTD's preventing me from finishing any flights) so that's $50 wasted. I was therefore a bit reluctant to get the NGX but in a moment of weakness I did. it's a bit of a gamble I'm afraid and with any thing to do with gambling you never bet more than you can afford to lose. On the whole I would have to say I am very happy with the NGX and would say it is the best airliner for FSX I have ever flown.

1) Not Sure2) NO3) YES and resized panel textures (problems start with add on airports)4) NO 2xQX9775 @ 4Ghz, 12gb RAM, 2xGTX460, Win 7 64Bit. Tripplehead2Go 3840x1024

1) If you knew what you know now, would you still get the NGX?No, I would wait for a service pack, there are far too many issues on far too many systems. I am sure you have checked the PMDG NGX forum2) Are you getting the performance expected from your system in the NGX?Yes3) Have you had to turn down sliders to get acceptable performance?No4) Does PMDG have a refund policy like F1 has?No

Jim, I haven't had any of the problems that you see posted as far as CTD's or lockups. The performance isn't quite what it may have been hyped up to be. That being said, it's not too bad on my rig. I haven't adjusted any of my sliders. (too stubborn). I'm happy with the purchase so the refund policy was a non-issue. That's one of the great things about dealing with Flight 1.

This aircraft far surpasses any previous addon aircraft ever made for MSFS (in my opinion). Highly recommended.

1 Yes2 Yes3 No4 No I've had almost zero issues with this amazing bird I LOVE IT!
Dougal said it all....

This is an amazing aircraft, and of course if you go to a support forum you're going to seemingly observe lots of people with problems. However, you'll also note that PMDG is dealing with the problems (that .1% of customers are experiencing). Their issue tracking thread demonstrates this. I am one of the customer who has had problems with panel freezing but I haven't seen it since their hot fix. This aircraft really moves the genre forward. It's groundbreaking and any flight sim fan that likes the airliner side of the hobby would be remiss to not buy this airplane.

Same for me. Hooked on this one.

1) If you knew what you know now, would you still get the NGX? Absolutely. 2) Are you getting the performance expected from your system in the NGX? YES. 3) Have you had to turn down sliders to get acceptable performance? NO.
Just go get it.

I've had a few issues with freezing... ugh - could be anything. I have a strong rig but don't have any fps issues. I still love the plane - best airliner ever created for FSX, hands down.

1) If you knew what you know now, would you still get the NGX? 110% YES! 2) Are you getting the performance expected from your system in the NGX? Beyond what I expected! 3) Have you had to turn down sliders to get acceptable performance? Not 1 bit. 4) Does PMDG have a refund policy like F1 has? I doubt it. Jim, my system isn't what you'd call perfect, not by a long shot, but I get great performance running GEX, REX, Photo scenary for Florida, and even FlyTampa- Tampa airport and the NGX. I get about 20 FPS running all this and tbh, FPS doesn't mean jack, it's all about how smooth your visual environment and everything is; and for me, it's simply amazing! I highly suggest you get the NGX man, you will not be dissapointed. The only problems i've had with the NGX have been a couple panel freezes but that's nothing a simple restart didn't solve. Good luck and keep me posted on how it goes when you buy it, Derian.

Jim, one other thing. I dont know if you use the VC or the 2D views, but if it is 2D, be aware that the throttle quadrent is not included, if that is important to you.

This is a must have in my opinion. PMDG really raised the bar with this one.

Hard to believe you have 1,000+ posts and you would be asking questions like this in the general forum about the most anticipated product of all time for flight sim. I'm actually surprised at all the civil answers that you have. I agree with them all. I would think you would know PMDG's refund policy - They don't refund downloads. A quick check of their site would show this. All the other answers are probably just what you would expect to hear about a PMDG product that took 3 years to produce. Ray

1. yes2. yes3. no4 no I had one issue ( CTD loading saved flights) and that is now fixed.. this plane is absolutely the best plane I have owned by a large margin. get it and you might as well delete your other planes now because you won't want to fly them. I am getting really good frames with this plane ( locked at 30 and stays near 30 most of the time) I have been able to get more aggressive with my settings ( I am using the pmdg ones they recommend for higher end rigs)

Hard to believe you have 1,000+ posts and you would be asking questions like this in the general forum about the most anticipated product of all time for flight sim. I'm actually surprised at all the civil answers that you have. I agree with them all. I would think you would know PMDG's refund policy - They don't refund downloads. A quick check of their site would show this. All the other answers are probably just what you would expect to hear about a PMDG product that took 3 years to produce. Ray
Why wouldn't he get civil answers? He made a very polite post with very straight forward questions, one would expect the same in return. I'm happy to see the courteous responses without the expectation that he should be a devout follower of the mighty PMDG just because some others are. Happy indeed.

Why wouldn't he get civil answers?
Oh, I'm as happy as you that the thread has gone this long on a positive note. I just haven't seen it evolve quite like this lately. I guess it was most folks were on edge waiting for the release. Now they are complaining they don't have the SDK or the Paintkit or their favorite repaint, or something. As why i am surprised. 1,000+ posts, all those add-ons, come on guys? Ray

1) Yes 2) Yes 3) No 4) Dont know.. I wouldnt want to return a PMDG aircraft. A few odd problems but I have confidence they will be sorted. Nothing to stop me flying.

Oh, I'm as happy as you that the thread has gone this long on a positive note. I just haven't seen it evolve quite like this lately. I guess it was most folks were on edge waiting for the release. Now they are complaining they don't have the SDK or the Paintkit or their favorite repaint, or something. As why i am surprised. 1,000+ posts, all those add-ons, come on guys? Ray
Well Ray, believe it or not even with 1000+ posts as you have put it, this was my first PMDG purchase. Notice I said "was", yes I went ahead and got it. I just wasnt all that interested getting any of the other PMDG products till the 737 NGX hit. Now that I have it, so far I am extreemly happy with it but I have alot to learn to get the most out of it. Just with my few initial tests I can really appreciate the quality and attention to detail put into this work of art. The sounds, lighting, systems, and the feel of it while flying are all very nice. Performance wise if we are talking FPS is a few frames lower than the Level D 767 but it is a smoother running aircraft so the few FPS loss isnt even woth talking about in my opinion.

1) Yes. Early byers should expect to be part of some surprises. I am sure that if everybody had applied the advise given in the introduction to the letter, at least half of questions and critisism would not have been written. I myself tried a few short cuts. Don't.2) Yes. If you can handle their 747, this one will really fly.3) No. I have autogene allways at normal, because any hihgher I don't find realistic.

To all that replied... thank you for the advise/info! I appreciate it. Now if you will excuse me I got some reading to do and I hope it rains all day long tomorrow so I can play wit this bird. Praying.gif 1002 posts now Ray... if your counting. LOL!LOL.gif

To all that replied... thank you for the advise/info! I appreciate it. Now if you will excuse me I got some reading to do and I hope it rains all day long tomorrow so I can play wit this bird. Praying.gif 1002 posts now Ray... if your counting. LOL!LOL.gif
Jim,I'm actually not counting, but, glad you made a good, sound decision to buy this one. This is a perfect example of using the forum for your avantage. It's not as quick as google but I think it provides good enough answers. When I first got started with fsx I asked for help quite often. I can recommend a good avsim review that talks about using addons. In that review are several recommendations to further increase your simming enjoyment. You can simply substitute your new 737NGX with the MD-11F and be on your way. I hope you take the time to truly enjoy your newest. http://www.avsim.com...Combo/MD11.html Ray