Sign in to follow this  
B777ER

P3D 5.1 Released

11 hours ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

Now I got that out of the way ... I experimented with the new VolumetricCloud.cfg

Rob,

Is it possible to add additional cloud types or does the sim only recognize the four types contained in the file? I've been able to create a few more types with the Simul SDK such as cirrocumulus. I'm assuming that adding an additional cloud type would just be ignored by the sim.

Jay

If in the end of the day it would run better believe me I would have kept it but it just doesn’t . And some 3rd party add ons are doing wierd things . For me useless at the moment

4 hours ago, simbol said:

Looks like our dreams (as users and developers) will take still years to realise.. Not matter what platform...

The world is really upside down..

The world is right side up and always will be.

We’re upside down. 😊

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, jabloomf1230 said:

Is it possible to add additional cloud types or does the sim only recognize the four types contained in the file

No, they follow the 4 types that can be set via UI in custom weather.

Cheers, Rob

49 minutes ago, simbol said:

LM is not stopping development, they have great plans.. They are just not delivered yet..

ive just screenshoted that to show you in a years time.  the same as how you always came to their rescue by saying "it will be fixed in 5.1" 

Edited by fluffyflops
  • Like 1

v63vq9-5.png

Maybe we should remember how long it took for P3Dv4 to mature!
Patience is a virtue...

Richard.

• Like 3

Richard Portier

MAXIMUS VI FORMULA|Intel® Core i7-4770K Oc@4.50GHz x8|NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080ti|M16GB DDR3|Windows10 Pro 64|P3Dv5|AFS2|TrackIr5|Saitek ProFlight Yoke + Quadrant + Rudder Pedal|Thrustmaster Warthog A10|

9 minutes ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

Rob - What are your thoughts on TrueSky generally speaking?  I have seen all the past demo videos and it looks awesome but maybe it is hard to implement in the sim?  Is it possible to have smooth WX transitions with the help of HiFI?

Eric

P3D v5 & MSFS   i7-6700k @ 4.4 GHz, Nvidia GTX 1080ti, 32GB ddr4 RAM, 1TB EVO 850 SSD, Samsung CRG90 49", Win 10

18 minutes ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

Cheers, Rob

That is a pitty. It would be nice if a 3.Party can create several cloud types which also can be injected.triggered by the weather addon. 4 cloud types is a bit "minimalistic" I would say.

Marcus 

Regards,

Marcus P.

xaP1VAU.png

4 hours ago, B777ER said:

At least the MSFS dev's are open and communicating and you can see progress.

They are?  Could have fooled me on the progress part with Asobo ... I see lots of MS/Asobo PR updates but actual direct communication with them comes to the "few" (Aerosoft, PMDG and maybe a few others).  I communicate directly with the LM's P3D team frequently, they just don't say what I want to hear.  MS/Asobo say "we're working on it" ... neither provides what I want now.

4 hours ago, ChaoticBeauty said:

Are those gnarly stair-step artifacts at the edges of the screen and some objects, which I saw in some screenshots and videos and I think is related to Enhanced Atmospherics, fixed with 5.1?

Reduced but not "fixed".

Cheers, Rob.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, remcosol said:

ANOTHER issue, reality xp gps is not tracking in nav anymore.........

Strange -- the RXP GTN750 tracks fine for me. Milviz WX radar also seems to work.

Al

Edited by ark

I'm approaching 5.1 as I do most updates--before installing I let it age a few weeks in the download box until my add-ons can catch up.  Nobody that's been simming for more than about a month should really expect that a day after a release all their add-ons will be happily humming along together on the upgraded platform.

One thing I have here that makes potential upgrade-related issues a lot less daunting is keeping a good parallel installation of v4.5 to fall back on.  For the majority of folks that are on v5 that also have a good license for v4, all I can say is that SSDs are cheap now, and preserving a fairly bullet-proof fallback sure can make the blood pressure drop off a bit.  You can upgrade and wrassle with v5 without touching a good working v4.5 setup on the same PC.

Honestly, I was never all that interested in EA--for me sim clouds are more a mechanism that serves the purpose of restricting visibility and presenting visible moisture (e.g. icing), not so much an art form.  The clouds I get from ASCA and ActiveSky serve that purpose well.  Sure, I'd be pleased to see better artistic effect with EA or some other solution (who wouldn't?), but it's way down on the list of important capabilities in the context of a functionally useful simulation environment.

I'm more interested in some of the less spectacular, yet still-needed fixes I've seen detailed in 5.1--the Scaleform text window crashes will not be missed, and there are, among others, code changes related to kernelbase.dll CTD issues, which is welcome as v5.0 hasn't exactly been the epitome of stability thus far.  Even without EA, a more stable, crash-free platform would constitute a worthy point release in its own right.

Last, I see lamentations here about how this is a disappointing year for simming.  I think that sentiment is misplaced...the result of a generally awful year for lots of unrelated reasons, but most of all, a result of letting our imaginations run away with us while we formed and then stewed ourselves in hot cauldron of really unrealistic expectations.  The history of this hobby is one of incremental progress...understanding that one enduring fact keeps me from expecting the moon regardless of the advertising puffery and PR malpractice that is foisted upon us, or from the teeming masses trying to speculate into existence the things they want/need/expect on the internet.  The happy truth when I look around is that my sim platform is better and more capable today than it was a year ago, and a year ago it was better than it was the year before, etc.

• Like 8
  • Upvote 5

Bob Scott | AVSIM Forums Administrator | AVSIM Board of Directors
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System: i9-10900K @ 5.2GHz on custom water loop, ASUS Maximus XII Hero, 32GB GSkill 3600MHz CAS15, EVGA RTX3090 XC3 Ultra
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x NVME 2x SATA Samsung SSD, EVGA 1KW PSU, 1Gbps internet
SoundBlaster XFi Titanium, TOSLINK to Yamaha RX-V467 HT Rcvr, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf spkrs, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensors, Coolermaster HAF932 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Could anyone explain what this fix/update does?

- View groups now support single-pass rendering mode to increase performance.

I use a view group across 3 monitors as my main view but it costs performance and fps.  

Thanks 

Rich Cooke

16 minutes ago, Flic1 said:

Rob - What are your thoughts on TrueSky generally speaking?

TrueSKY clouds, about the same as my thoughts on MSFS clouds but for different visual reasons ... in some situations trueSKY looks great, in other situations not great ... which is exactly the same experience I get with MSFS.

It seems the computational requirements required to do "weather" exceeds the limits of today's hardware and we end up with the blind eye of compromise.  Maybe we need to petition AMD and/or nVidia to provide special computational cores specifically for cloud rendering ... interesting read here: 

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2468502X17300013

but realistic weather seems to currently be the domain of "offline rendering" which is of no use for "real-time" simulation.

TrueSKY atmospherics (scattering) I like ... but as pointed out, legacy FSX objects will need to be update to deal with the alpha issues present in both V4 and V5.  As pointed out, I'm not entirely sure how willing existing 3rd party content providers are going to be about adding:

1.  Alpha/Z changes to their objects and reduce the compression complexity so we don't see objects bleed true scatter/visibility/clouds

2.  Adding PBR to all their objects for older/existing content

3.  Adding material scripting so we get realistic weather effects on the ground (water puddles, snow, etc.) to all older/existing content

That's a lot of work for what might be $0 vs. doing that "new" work (even if it's older airports ported over) for MSFS for $XX.  Since most people want to get paid for doing work the "sell" is in favor of MSFS.

Cheers, Rob.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, rich_cooke said:

I use a view group across 3 monitors as my main view but it costs performance and fps.

I was unable to test this, but I believe you need to flag the view for single pass in order to avoid the FPS drop.

Cheers, Rob.

40 minutes ago, fluffyflops said:

ive just screenshoted that to show you in a years time.  the same as how you always came to their rescue by saying "it will be fixed in 5.1" 

If that’s how you stand for things in real life you will be surprised if you leave your bubble. My god, this kind of behavior isn’t helpful towards the community. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5

Balint Szarka

CPU Intel i9 9900K OC'd to 5Ghz

RAM 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz (2 x 16GB)

GPU 8GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 2070 SUPER