Sign in to follow this  
Seat*

P3DV5 HF next week

According to Robs latest video he just posted, he said he and some other developers pushed LM not to release it at this time but LM had their reasons to release it now which he did not elaborate on so I think it is unfair to push the issues on beta testers.  They only have so much input.

• Upvote 1

Sean Green

One would have thought flying into "walls" and VRAM that brings a RTX2080TI to it's knees would have been a good reason to delay release. I can't see these issues enhancing P3Ds reputation.

• Upvote 2

Cheers

Steve Hall

2 minutes ago, cowpatz said:

One would have thought flying into "walls" and VRAM that brings a RTX2080TI to it's knees would have been a good reason to delay release. I can't see these issues enhancing P3Ds reputation.

VRAM is only an issue if you really go to town on your sliders. Whilst it does need addressing it is perfectly possible to fly with high settings on most things.

• Like 1

P3D & X-Plane 11 - Videos and streaming @ V Special 1

42 minutes ago, Matthew James de Bohun said:

VRAM is only an issue if you really go to town on your sliders. Whilst it does need addressing it is perfectly possible to fly with high settings on most things.

In FT EHAM wih FTX Trueearth NL in Realair Legacy with GTN750 with slightly higher settings that 4.5 (mostly medium,Dense,High) and some shadows the VRAM is about 6.2GB in 4K 2048 textures . That leaves 3GB for jets,Active Sky etc,  so i guess its possible i would say

Michael Moe

Edited by Michael Moe

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png

56 minutes ago, sgreen91 said:

According to Robs latest video he just posted, he said he and some other developers pushed LM not to release it at this time but LM had their reasons to release it now which he did not elaborate on so I think it is unfair to push the issues on beta testers.  They only have so much input.

Latest video? Could you provide a link? Thanks!

I'm not a coding expert, but in my laymans understanding of the situation, I believe P3D is an extremely complex piece of software, and with a new version, there has to be a starting point for release. I think it's great to be released to the general public, with or without bugs. The more users, the more bugs will be identified  and the software will become more " polished" in a quicker time frame....PMDG is constantly issuing bug fixes and improvements simply because there are so many users. Beta testers can never identify every fault. That's impossible. We are very fortunate to have experts such as Rob within our forums to put this subject into perspective. Regards.

• Upvote 1

Peter Webber

Prepar3D v5 & MSFS / Windows 10 Home Edition / CPU i7-7700K / MSI Z270 XPower Gaming Titanium / Samsung 970 EVO PLUS M.2 500GB / Corsair Vengeance DDR4 32GB 3000MHz / MSI Geforce GTX 1080Ti Gaming X

3 hours ago, cowpatz said:

These are very basic bugs that should have been picked up during Beta testing. What were the testers doing????

Name the software released without bugs.  If you name any  you are mistaken.

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

Hearing how they handled the beta and release of v5, I absolutely don't think it's fair laying any blame on the beta testers. LM were clearly in some sort of rush to get it out the door, running betas right up to the very last days of release, with beta testers barely able to download the latest builds before it was finally out the door. 

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

6 minutes ago, MrBitstFlyer said:

Name the software released without bugs.  If you name any  you are mistaken.

The biggest company with the greatest resources and most beta testers should clearly produce bug free software...……… oh, Windows 10...………😆

I still do not understand why Lockheed Martin needed to release Prepar3D v5 before the major bugs had been sorted out. I don't buy the argument that they had to release it because Microsoft are getting closer to the release of their own new flight simulator. I would be surprised if Lockheed Martin are in any way worried about the long term consequences of the return of Microsoft to the flight simulation arena. These products are aimed at two completely different markets. We have been lucky to have been granted a ride on the military bus over the past few years, but those windows are blacked out for a reason...

• Upvote 2

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

10 minutes ago, Christopher Low said:

I still do not understand why Lockheed Martin needed to release Prepar3D v5 before the major bugs had been sorted out. I don't buy the argument that they had to release it because Microsoft are getting closer to the release of their own new flight simulator. I would be surprised if Lockheed Martin are in any way worried about the long term consequences of the return of Microsoft to the flight simulation arena. These products are aimed at two completely different markets. We have been lucky to have been granted a ride on the military bus over the past few years, but those windows are blacked out for a reason...

Been asking myself the same thing. We are constantly told by follow members of the community, that 'we' are of no real interest or impact to LM and P3D. Their interests and main customers are the professionals, larger contracts etc. However I'm absolutely certain these customers have no interest in buggy, rushed software nor that these entities even use the latest releases just for the sake of stability and cutting down on expenses / work on rolling out. I really don't think Microsoft's upcoming flight simulator, that doesn't even have a release date yet, is so pressing to LM that they need to basically kick their software out the door, then having to scramble to put out all the fires in its wake, I can't imagine the situation being that desperate? It won't even have any overlap with their supposed customer base?

Oh well, it would all just be guesswork and speculation anyway, doubt we'll ever really know. Just think it's a shame if LM started compromising on quality for the sake of speed. 

Edited by Sethos
  • Upvote 1

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

Could have been a last minute change.

Remenber beta tester clamed that they did not get the RTM build.

2 hours ago, Sethos said:

Been asking myself the same thing. We are constantly told by follow members of the community, that 'we' are of no real interest or impact to LM and P3D. Their interests and main customers are the professionals, larger contracts etc. However I'm absolutely certain these customers have no interest in buggy, rushed software nor that these entities even use the latest releases just for the sake of stability and cutting down on expenses / work on rolling out. I really don't think Microsoft's upcoming flight simulator, that doesn't even have a release date yet, is so pressing to LM that they need to basically kick their software out the door, then having to scramble to put out all the fires in its wake, I can't imagine the situation being that desperate? It won't even have any overlap with their supposed customer base?

Oh well, it would all just be guesswork and speculation anyway, doubt we'll ever really know. Just think it's a shame if LM started compromising on quality for the sake of speed. 

do you honestly think the government and/or military are clued up to know about VRAM , and have 2080tis in their systems ??  

come on, thats not how the public sector works.  

14ppkc-6.png

35 minutes ago, fluffyflops said:

do you honestly think the government and/or military are clued up to know about VRAM , and have 2080tis in their systems ??  

come on, thats not how the public sector works.  

Said nothing of the sort.

6 hours ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

It was the "norm" a long long time ago ... FSX was released with DX10 Preview and ran out of RAM rather quickly.

No, I think it's a consequence of totally automating the production process. Robots can do a better job than humans but there's little gain monetarily to set engineering tolerances extremely tight on consumer products. Watch when MSFS is released and people complain about a rogue building in the middle of the Gobi Desert. LM is having the same problem with its P3d5 vector data.

Edited by jabloomf1230
  • Like 1